Saturday, May 24, 2008

Canadian Cultural Icon -- Anne Murray

This video has all the earmarks of being illegally recorded on a cellphone. The colour and brightness and focus are bad. The sound’s not really great either. The song’s kinda mushy too.

But it’s a totally classic Anne Murray song. One of the best. She has a fabulous voice. She still looks, after all these years, like a phys ed. teacher, in a good way. And face it – if she’d been a phys ed. teacher, she’da been the one you loved. The one you could ASK stuff – even the hard stuff.

This was recorded last month, in Moncton, New Brunswick, which isn’t far from home for Anne. The sound worked a little better for me when I turned it down on the computer, and let the speakers do the work. Enjoy!!!



4 comments:

Wormwood's Doxy said...

The first really excellent haircut I ever got was given to me by Anne Murray's personal hairstylist. This young woman (whose name I have inexplicably forgotten) lived in Nashville and cut hair in her kitchen when she wasn't on the road with Anne.

I owe my good hair to Anne Murray---so she's a Doxy icon too. ;-)

Kate Morningstar said...

Doxy, I love this story, and I almost missed it. Now I want to hear about when you were in Nashville. Hair is SO important -- a friend of mine said so much of the rest of the day was ruined when you have a terrible haircut or sore feet. She's really right. I wonder why so many men can go for years and years without ever changing how their hair gets cut -- new hair changes my attitude.

Unknown said...

A great haircut is like a flattering new skirt. And both should move a bit for my taste.
:-)

Wormwood's Doxy said...

new hair changes my attitude

I don't change my hair. Whatsername (I hate getting old and forgetting things!) recognized the cut that would suit both my face and my personality right down to the ground, and I still get compliments on it 15 years later...

I do, however, highlight it now. ;-)

Kate---I went to grad school in Nashville, and lived there for 11 years. Except for the crummy public school system, I would have been happy to live there forever, but life intervened and sent us to DC. Now I'm in North Carolina, and happy to be somewhere where people are friendly and I can get good BBQ and sweet tea. ;-)