Friday, May 30, 2008

Canadian Cultural Icon Night -- Margaret Atwood

Margaret Atwood is certainly a Canadian Cultural Icon. She’s been publishing since the early 1960’s – she has a terrific volume of much-honoured public work. When I was in high school in the early 1970’s, we read Surfacing. When I was in college we read Survival: A Thematic Guide to Canadian Literature and The Edible Woman. Lady Oracle is still one of my favourites, and my sister has every Atwood novel, first edition, hard cover, usually autographed. I’ve been reading poetry this year, and I have Morning in the Burned House and The Door on my bedside table right now.

This is a list, from Wikipedia, of her published novels and books of poetry – there are short stories, anthologies, children’s books and non-fiction also listed.

Novels

Poetry collections

She’s an activist – a feminist and environmentalist. I tried to find a link to her reading some of her own work – but I found this video instead, and I like it.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kate,
There is a clip on my blog of an interview with Margaret Atwood by Bill Moyers. In it she talks about The Handmaid's Tale and religion. It's brilliant. You can also find it through a search on youtube.

She's one of my personal icons...

Kate Morningstar said...

I didn't see the Bill Moyers interview at your place, but I did when I was looking for something to put here. I've been thinking of Atwood for a couple of weeks, and it's seeing your Manet's Olympia post that clinched it this weekend.